Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cheating the Restaurant Gods...

I want to break the mold of my posts a bit by sharing an awesome recipe that I brought together for dinner.

Since my inaugural excursions to the Richfield Leeann Chin Restaurant when I was probably around 10 years old, I have maintained an affinity towards Lemon Chicken.

As I grew older, the spicier Peking started filling my plastic 'Metrodome bowl' but I have never forgotten the sweet taste from my first love.

It has been years since I consumed Leeann Chin's food as the taste and quality took a pummeling during new ownership and budget constraints. However, I discovered a recipe that places even the old and true fast-food dish to shame.

I highly recommend this when the $12.00/order minimum at a take-out restaurant just isn't cutting it... Or, when you simply want something incredible to eat.
Also, serve with some whole grain brown rice to add an even healthier component to your dinner.

Ingredients

  • 1 package (1 - 2 lbs) of chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
  • Coarse salt (use the salt you have- don't worry)
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil (vegetable or canola will work too),
  • 1 tablespoon (a splash) white vinegar (white wine will work too)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock (I used consomme- just follow directions accordingly)
  • 8 ounces prepared lemon curd (you can find a 10oz jar by the Jelly at Cub for around $5.00)
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 2 scallions (I used shallots)
  • Red pepper flakes to taste
Cut the chicken into pieces or strips.

Coat the chunked chicken lightly in flour, seasoned with a little salt (mix these ingredients together before immersing the chicken-- INSTEAD of salt, I used Tony Chachere's seasoning--- simply a matter of preference).

Heat a large skillet or a wok-shaped nonstick pan over high heat. Stir fry chicken until golden, 3 or 4 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and return pan to heat. Reduce heat to medium.

Add a splash of vinegar to the pan and let it evaporate. Add stock or broth to the pan and scrape up any drippings with a whisk.

I USED ABOUT 4-6 oz of Lemon Curd-- The more you add, the sweeter the dish! Thin curd by stirring in a little hot water. Add curd to broth and whisk to combine.

Add chicken back to the pan and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken sauce and finish cooking chicken pieces through.

Remove the pan from heat, add the scallions or chives and zest, and toss chicken pieces well to combine zest and scallions or chopped shallots evenly throughout the sauce. Finish with pepper flakes for your heat preference.

A light post with a light meal to end the day...

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment