Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Response From GAC to My Email... (UPDATED)


Following is the reply from Randall Stuckey (GAC Alum Dir) to my email; and my subsequent response ... 


From: Randall Stuckey [mailto:rstuckey@gustavus.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:08 PM
To: Adam J Barrett
Cc: Tim Kennedy; jolene D Christensen
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Alumni] {Disarmed} Deeply Concerned...

Hello, Adam,

Thanks for your email -- we always appreciate hearing from our alumni.  There is nothing that I can add to what has already been sent in the letter from Board of Trustee's Chair Mark Bernhardson, but I can forward your note to the Board and others in leadership roles.  Gustavus is a great place, has been and will continue to be very resilient, and is certainly a place to continue to support.

Randall Stuckey '83
Director of Alumni Relations




I agree.

However, while not nearly as involved in Alumni relations as I ‘should’ be… The recent news and subsequent response deeply saddens/angers/worries me. While on campus, I made it my priority (sometimes in too ‘blunt’ of a manner) to foster an environment of ideas and community—a place where individuals were unafraid to think ‘outside the mainstream.’ I accomplished this through Student Senate, serving on multiple committees, and writing for the Gustavian… While my efforts were merely a blip on the radar, upon graduation, I saw positive progress (much of which was driven by professors, admins, and students who TRULY cared – Hank Toutain and Dennis Johnson are prime examples)…

I agree with the assessment that Gustavus (as all Colleges should) must prepare itself for a new “higher education landscape” however, that can NOT be at the expense of our core. I am aware that many agree with my sentiments however, the feeling must be shared universally.

Thank you for your response. As I iterated, perhaps this will act as a catalyst for greater Alum involvement (it certainly lit a fire that’s been missing for me)…

I look forward to continuing this and additional dialogue.

Regards,
Adam



Adam J Barrett
true source | Business Development Manager 612.825.2886 x214 office | 612.237.3890 mobile | 877.839.7977 fax
“Check out our new Website” www.true-source.com

No comments:

Post a Comment